Q. “My parent’s driving is getting worse, even dangerous, but they refuse to give up driving their car. What should we do?”
A. Freedom is closely tied with a car and driving. Losing the ability to drive is seen as a loss of independence. It’s easier for others to see a diminishment in driving abilities. The older adult may not be aware of their reduced relaxes or less accurate vision or hearing.
Questions to ask yourself
- Is there something getting in the way of their admitting this problem?
- How can we help them to see the problem?
- If they are not driving, how can they maintain some independence, get around and go where they need to, such as shopping, entertainment, etc.?
- Who might be able to give you some ideas or help them get around?
- Is it a physical problem with eyesight, hearing or slow reflexes?
Call us today and let’s talk